School Based Trainees
The CaPTA Group Operates highly successful tourist operations in and around Cairns and Far North Queensland.
These businesses include:
- Rainforestation Nature Park
- Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
- Cairns ZOOM and Wildlife Dome
- Tropic Wings Cairns Tours and Charters
- Jungle Tours
- Wildlife Habitat
- Careers Training Centre
- ABC Maintenance and Sales
School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships are becoming more and more popular with students and employers alike across Far North Queensland. CaPTA offers school based traineeships in Hospitality and Tourism.
Our school-based traineeship program was developed in 2007 for school students in Year 11 and 12 across the region. By employing a school-based trainee, CaPTA can recruit keen, young staff before they graduate from school to give them realistic exposure to the industry and business on a casual basis while obtaining a national recognised qualification. On successful completion of a traineeship, students are encouraged to apply for employment within the CaPTA group of companies.
How do School-Based Traineeships Work?
- Students may participate in a school based traineeship as part of their schooling
- Time is allocated throughout the school week for students to attend training and work
- Students are paid by their employer
- The Traineeship is partially funded for by the Government
- The employer receives funding from the Government to help pay wages
- The student must complete 365 hours of employment
- The student must complete at least 2 hours per week of non- paid training
- Training takes place at a convenient location for all parties
- Training is competency based which means students can work at their own pace
- The student will have homework and assignments throughout their training course
- Training and working times will be negotiated between the school, RTO, and Employer to ensure they fit in with other commitments
Students are expected to complete their traineeship and attend work the with the same commitment as any other employee within their workplace.
The following courses are available for School-Based Traineeships:
SIT20213 – Certificate II in Hospitality: This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for school based students to be competent in a range of activities and functions requiring basic operational knowledge and limited practical skills within the hospitality industry.
SIT30713 – Certificate III in Hospitality: This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for school based students to be competent in skilled operations with the needs to apply discretion and judgement within the hospitality industry. Students may have some responsibility for others and provide technical advice and support to a team.
SIT20112 – Certificate II in Tourism: This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for school based students to be competent in a range of activities requiring basic knowledge and skills within the tourism industry.
SIT30112 – Certificate III in Tourism: This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for school based students to be competent in a defined range of basic tourism technical skills. Work would be undertaken in an office environment where the planning of tourism products and services takes place, in the field where tourism products are delivered or a combination of both.
“The opportunity has been a learning experience and has set me up for a wonderful career path for my future. The opportunity has introduced me to an amazing bunch of people. We’re all just like one big family. Going to training isn’t just a place to learn, it’s about having fun and I always know all my trainers will be there for me whenever I need advice.”Emma Burke
“Careers Training Centre have provided me with an opportunity to further advance my love for Tourism and working with other people. The experience I have had and am still undertaking has been exciting, eventful but also has made me question things about the Tourism industry I wouldn’t have on my own. As a school based trainee, my hours can be flexible to fit with my final year of school whilst completing a Certificate III in Tourism. Everyone I have dealt with at CaPTA has been understanding, helpful, polite and easy to communicate with. This experience is something I’ll never forget. “Erin Power