STUDY CAPTIVE ANIMALS
Download the Student Handbooks:
If you are paying the full course amount (Fee For Service):
If you are studying via distance education:
Access and Equity:
Careers Training Centre believes that everyone deserves to have the opportunity to successfully gain skills, knowledge and experience through vocational education and training.Careers Training Centre is responsible for fulfilling its commitment to access and equity by ensuring continued participation of target groups in VET programs. These target groups include:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- People from non-English speaking backgrounds
- People with a disability
- Rural and regionally isolated communities
- People in transition and other special groups (i.e. people re-entering the workforce, sole parents, people with literacy issues and the long-term unemployed
Ongoing support is provided by Careers Training Centre throughout your training:
- If you are having difficulties in the workplace or at training
- Our Mentor is available to work with you to resolve concerns and give direction to further assistance if required.
- Trainers and assessors will visit you in your workplace regularly and work with your supervisors to develop your skills and knowledge
- Ability to arrange one on one training sessions at a mutually convenient time and place
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy Support
Captive Animals Courses
The course is intended for people interested in pursuing a career as a Zoo / wildlife keeper in the captive animal industry.
Usual day to day functions of Keepers can include:
- Preparing animal diets;
- Preparing food and feeding animals;
- Training and conditioning of animals;
- Monitoring and maintaining animal health;
- Capturing, restraining and assisting in moving animals (with support)
- Monitoring reproduction and breeding programs;
- Maintaining animal exhibits;
- Monitoring behavioural needs;
- Implementing improved husbandry;
- Assisting in animal collection management.
Keepers are required to interact with the public, offering visitors educational information and helping to ensure their visit to the Zoo is a positive experience.
Why study Captive Animals with CTC?
- Learn from experienced and friendly trainers in a supportive environment
- Gain hands on experience at one of our companies based in Cairns, Kuranda and Port Douglas
- Flexible learning and course arrangements
- All training relates directly to the specific industry and its needs
- The curriculum provides for continuity in, and progressive development of knowledge, skills , attitude and values
- We are committed to help each student reach their full potential